Thursday, April 3, 2008

Meeting our Daughter...........








Well, it was hard to sleep last night, after trying to unwind from the long trip and adjusting to the time change, then having the anticipation of meeting Olivia today! We were up very early, we did a little bit of exploring, bought some items from a bakery for breakfast, and then got a message we were to be at Eastern at 9:30 am and meet with Olivia at 10. So, we took the subway to Eastern, filled out paperwork, met with the social worker, and then in came Olivia with her foster mom! You could tell the foster mom recognized us from the pictures. She begin to say "mom" and "dad" to Olivia as she pointed to us. Olivia was just perfect! She was so tiny and cute! It almost seemed unreal to be seeing this little person who's picture we have been staring at for 3 and a half months! We went into a private room with some toys. She let us hold her a little bit at a time, and then she would start to cry and wanted her foster mom. You can tell her foster mom takes great care of her and she seems really attached. She also has a bit of a runny nose, which I think added to her clinginess. So, we spent about 45 minutes with her, we would ask questions to the foster mom and our case worker would interpret. She gave us some pictures she has taken of Olivia, and she said she has more she'll bring next time. Some pictures included her 6 and 8 year old grandsons, which she said Olivia really enjoys, so I'm sure she'll love her brothers! We got lots of information from talking with her, and our overall impression is that she probably gets a lot of attention! We asked about meeting her tomorrow, and the foster mom said she thought it was better that she didn't go out because it made Olivia's nose run more when she went outside! So, they told us to meet back there on Monday at 4, and we asked if at that time we could take Olivia back to the hotel with us, and the social worker agreed! We were happy about that! We will then have almost a whole day with her in our hotel before we get on the plane Tuesday evening. After our visit, Olivia met with the pediatrician there at Eastern since she had a cold. She checked her lungs, throat, ears, etc., and said she just had a common cold. Olivia then left, and we met with the founder of Eastern (who is in his 90's and still comes to work!) and the new president of Eastern. Then we met with a bunch of other adoptive families and they served us an authentic Korean lunch. It was delicious! We also got to see Angie and her family (here from Belleville, adopting Theo) and it was nice to see a familiar face! We are now emotionally and physically exhausted, but looking forward to 3 days of sightseeing. Here is a slideshow of some more pictures from our visit.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How precious!! Those pictures are just priceless. Nate and I are so excited for you both. I know it will be a long weekend but Monday will be here before you know it. We can't wait to meet Olivia and I know Emma is excited as well!
Love, Nate, Kellie and Emma
P.S. I know it is 5:15am here, I'm not up with Emma, Rascal woke me up to go outside. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Aaron and Diane,

God is so awesome. Seeing you with your daughter has brought tears to my eyes. She is perferct!!!! You guys look wonderful holding her. Enjoy your time together.
sherri and jim

Jillian said...

Wow! That one made me cry. Olivia is beautiful!!! I'm sure this is a very emotional journey. But she looks so wonderful in your arms. It is fun to look at this precious baby girl and know that she is going to have an amazing life. Transitions are hard for everyone. But just keep in mind how full her life is going to be here with her mom, dad and two brothers. I'm sure you are worried about taking her out of the home she has known for the last few months. But if it gives you any comfort, Ben (who was 21/2 when we moved here) doesn't remember our old home or most of the people we knew there. To him, this is all he knows as home. It will be that way soon for Olivia.
We'll keep you in our prayers. What an exciting time!
Rodney and Jill

Brookie Bows said...

She's gorgeous!!! And guess what Great Uncle A...I think she has enough hair to even put a big bow in! hehehe! I'm sure Kinsley will share hers when you guys come to visit :) You guys are amazing and Olivia is a wonderful addition to the family!!! Now seeing more pictures, especially of you guys holding her I can't wait to meet her even more!! LOVE YOU GUYS! Give her hugs and kisses for us!!!

Brooke

Anonymous said...

Olivia is soo beautiful, she's perfect!!!! I have tears writing this because you guys are soo special and your pictures are priceless! Can't wait to see her in person!

Anonymous said...

The following message is from Luke:
"Olivia you are my sister. Mom I love you and dad I love you too."
(written by Kellie)
Robin wanted me to let you know that the boys said Olivia was adorable this morning and that your phone is out because it is raining. She will try to call you later...

Becherer said...

Diane & Aaron,

What a beautiful precious little girl!!! We cannot wait to meet your new addition! We are all so happy for you!

With Love,
Dave & Maryann
Jason & Cheri
Trevor & Mackenzie

Anonymous said...

Those are great pictures. She looks like a Karlas to me! We are so happy for you guys. I'll keep praying for lots of energy, patience, and good travels. I'll also pray for little Olivia's cold. She is just too adorable! Enjoy your sight seeing.
Love,
Jenn, Todd, Dane, Drew & Ian

Anonymous said...

Grandma & Grandpa Ernst said:

Olivia, you are a beautiful and precious baby. Can't wait until next Wednesday when we can meet you in person and hold you. You are a very lucky little girl to have such loving parents and brothers. Your Mom and dad waited a long time for this day to come. The pictures of you and your Mom and dad are priceless. We are so happy that you are now a part of our family.(Congratulations and much love to all of you.)

Anonymous said...

This message is from Grant:
"I had a great day and a good field trip time."
(written by Kellie)

Robin also wanted me to let you know that your phone is still out.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! Karrie and Emily just looked at your site with me and we're all so excited! I've got goosebumps now, seeing you with your little girl! Olivia is beautiful...and her life with you as parents will be as well! Praying you get rested up and enjoy Korea!
Becky